Addison

Addison

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Romeo and Juliet . . .

Why does the most romantic story in history have to be the saddest as well? When ever I watch or read Romeo and Juliet, afterward, all I can say is, "This sucks!". It's just completely unfair. I honestly want to kill the delivery boy that couldn't get the dang letter to Romeo in time. He ruined everything. And don't even get me started on the stupidity of the two star-crossed lovers. I understand the phrase "I can't live without you" though I do find it rather dramatic, but these two took it to another level. Shakespeare is an evil genius when it comes to this story. Not only was Shakespeare the greatest poet/writer in history, but I'm pretty sure he was a psychic on the side. Teenagers these days have been getting more dramatic, more stupid, and more pregnant, (although the "pregnant" part doesn't have to do with much, I just thought I'd throw it in for good measure), he must have known that people in our time would need this example of undying stupidity. Some people describe their lives as the story of Romeo and Juliet in the sense that two people love each other and their parents won't let them be together. I thought that my life was like this for a short period, but then I realized how dramatic and stupid I was being, and then after going through things, I realized that I didn't want my life to be like theirs. Sure it sounds so romantic, but they kill themselves at the end. Now how romantic does that sound? I changed my perspective altogether. If you lose a loved one, mourn for a while, anyone deserves that, but don't take it to extremes. Life moves on, and you are going to see them again someday. Romeo and Juliet were so in love, so naive, and so catholic that they didn't understand the full effect their decision was going to have. Now this is a serious case of "act before you think". Lets all learn from this beautifully heart wrenching story and give Shakespeare a hand for writing a play so insightful and foretelling, because without Shakespeare, we all might be dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment